When your home is in need of a new heating system, you may be wondering what type of equipment would be the best choice. Heat pump systems and gas furnaces provide effective home heating, but each type of system has its pros and cons.
Pros and Cons of Heat Pumps:
Heat Pump systems operate on electricity and are ideal for homes in moderate climates. The pros and cons of this type of system include:
- Efficiency: Most electric heat pumps are significantly more energy efficient when compared to a gas operated furnace.
- Installation cost: Installation of a heat pump system usually costs less than the installation of a furnace. Furnaces require an extensive ventilation system, which can increase the cost in a home not already outfitted for this need.
- Operating cost: In most areas, electricity rates are lower than natural gas, meaning that a heat pump system will cost less to operate than a gas fired furnace.
- Quietness: Hot air heat pumps do not make as much noise as a furnace.
- Safety: There is no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning with the use of a heat pump.
- Size: A heat pump system requires an indoor and outdoor component, while a gas fired furnace just has an indoor component.
- Effectiveness: In periods of extremely cold weather, a heat pump is not as effective at heating a home.
Pros and Cons of Gas Furnaces:
Gas fired furnaces have been used for decades to warm homes. The advantages and disadvantages of this type of home heating equipment include:
- Lifespan: A gas fired furnace usually has a longer lifespan than a heat pump.
- Less maintenance: Since a gas operated furnace is only used for a few months out of each year, the maintenance requirements are less than those for a heat pump.
- Dependability: A gas fired furnace has fewer mechanical parts than a heat pump, meaning fewer things that can break down or malfunction.
- Safety: A gas leak could result in an explosion and fire.
- Cleanliness: The products of gas combustion can result in dirtier air and poor indoor air quality in the home.
At Nauman Mechanical, our experienced technicians install all types of heat pumps and gas furnaces. We look forward to assisting you with all of your home comfort needs. Please call us at any time at (570) 476-7515.